10 Pet Dangers You May Have Not Thought About

1. Sugar substitutes, such as xylitol used in sugar-free candies and chewing gums, can cause liver damage and low blood sugar in dogs.

2. Liquid Potpourri can not only badly burn a dog or cat who gets into the hot oils but can also cause ulcers in the mouth, throat and GI tract from the chemicals.

3.
Medications, whether human or pet medication, could kill your pet if ingested. Beware of child-proof containers as your pet can crush the container and then get into the medication.

4. Lilies can cause kidney damage to cats who consume even a very small amount of the plant.

5. Polyurethane glue if swallowed can cause a hard concrete-like mass in your dog’s stomach that may need to be surgically removed. Bread dough if consumed can also expand in your pet’s stomach and cause problems.

6. Onions and garlic contain compounds that cause GI irritation and can negatively affect your pet’s red blood cells leading to anemia. Even cooked onions and garlic can cause problems with your pet.

7. Grapes and raisins can cause GI problems as well as kidney failure in dogs who consume even a small amount.

8. Pennies contain zinc which when swallowed gets absorbed by your pet’s body and can cause anemia and kidney problems. Pennies minted after 1982 are particularly dangerous as they contain 99.2% zinc.

9.
Macadamia nuts can cause a wide range of symptoms including GI upset, severe weakness, vomiting and diarrhea.

10. Pine-oil cleaners contain phenol that can cause liver damage in cats who lap up some of the cleaner off the floor or who lick the cleaner off their paws.

If you are concerned that your pet has gotten into any of these products, please call us so we can best advise you in what to do. You can also call the Animal Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435. Often damage to your pet can be prevented if they are treated in a timely manner.